vrijdag 7 mei 2010

Dutch flower bulb fields

You need:

  1. white drawing sheet from 20 by 10 cm
  2. markers
  3. fine black marker
  4. ruler
  5. pencil
Situated less than 30 miles from Amsterdam, the town of Lisse is widely regarded as the center of Holland's bulb district. Each spring, the area's sandy coastal plain becomes a sprawling blanket of fantastic color as millions of Dutch tulip, hyacinth and daffodil bulbs emerge in perfect rows. Show the kids pictures of these fields like these. Google on 'bollenveld'.

Draw a horzion line about 2 cm from the upper edge. Put a dot in the middle of this line, the vanishing point. Draw lines from the bottom and sides towards that vanishing point. Colour the bulb fields with bright colours. Colour walkways between the bulb fields. Colour the sky. Draw with a black fineliner some buildings on the horizon, like farms, windmills etc.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. I absolutely love this Lesson. I may wait till spring, but I definately want to try it with my students.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Thank you!
    It's definitely a lesson for spring, but it's a part of another lesson I'll post soon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. How beautiful! I think I may try this in the spring too. I like the silhouettes against the sky in the background. It's a very dramatic landscape scene. Thank you for writing about it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I agree with the other commenters - what a wonderful way to mix art, perspective, and a little geography. This would also make a beautiful patchwork quilt project for fabric artists.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. What a pretty project and a different take on one point perspective. I did an altered version of lesson with my Grade 6 class and they loved it: http://afaithfulattempt.blogspot.com/2011/05/dutch-tulip-fields.html

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. May I make a color printout of the tulip field photograph to show my class? Thank you. creative(dot)bovendesign(dot)com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen